About the recipe
Spring rolls are so simple to make. Try and buy the spring roll pastry from the frozen section of a Chinese grocer. Fill each wrapper with peach, strawberry and lychee pieces. If you cant find the Chinese spring roll wrappers (the ones made with coconut oil are particularly good), then use filo pastry, and you can bake them in the oven until golden. A delicious treat that children and adults would love.
Spring roll wrapper
12 x 14.5 cm square
10 fresh, peeled and halved, finely chopped (or use canned lychees)
5, ripe, sliced
2 large, ripe, thickly sliced into wedge pieces
1 tbsp, blended with 1 tbsp warm water
For deep frying
3 tbsp, melted
Vanilla ice cream
- Take a spring roll wrapper and place it in front of you, in the shape of a diamond. Brush with melted butter all over the pastry.
- Put a chopped lychee, strawberry and a few slices of peach across the centre of the pastry.
- Bring the two side corners over the filling to the middle. Bring the bottom corner up over the filling, then brush the remaining corner with a little more cornflour mixture and roll up from the bottom to secure the spring roll. Continue in the same way until all the wrappers are filled.
- Reserve the leftover lychees, strawberries and peach pieces for decorating.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add a shallow layer of oil, allow to heat, then put the spring rolls in the pan and fry for 1 minute until golden on one side and then turn them over to cook the other side. For a healthier option you can bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 180 degrees until golden.
- To serve, put 2 or 3 spring rolls in each small serving dish, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and decorate with leftover fruit pieces. Drizzle with golden syrup and serve immediately.