About the recipe
This recipe is super easy. Marinate the duck legs with Chinese seasonings and roast in a hot oven. Shred the meat and serve in lettuce gem wrap leaves, garnish with cucumber slices and a small dollop of shop bought Hoi sin sauce. Happy Chinese New Year!
*Note: 1 hour and 15 minutes preparation time includes 1-hour marinating.
Duck legs -
(462g) 2 Freedom Food, skin on
For the marinade
2 cloves minced
2 tablespoon grated
Shaosing rice wine -
2 tablespoon, or dry sherry
Chinese five-spice powder -
Hoi sin sauce -
Chilli sauce -
Dark soy sauce -
Sea salt -
Little Gem lettuce -
2 heads, leaves separated & washed
For the garnish
Spring onion -
Sliced, very thin long strips, soaked in ice water to curl up Cucumber slices, half moon, thinly sliced
Hoi sin sauce -
3 tablespoon, in a small bowl with serving spoon
- Place the duck legs in a zip lock bag, add all the marinade ingredients. Marinade for atleast one hour in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Place duck legs (include the marinade) round side up on a roasting tray lined with kitchen paper. Roast for 40 minutes, then turn heat up to 220 degrees, cook the duck legs for a further 10 minutes to cook medium â€“ well done.
- Remove and rest the duck for 5 minutes. Once rested, shred the duck legs and place on a serving board.
- Place the lettuce gem leaves, cucumber slices and spring onion curls in small serving dishes. Pour some Hoi sin sauce in dipping bowls with small serving spoons.
- To serve, let your guests make each one themselves by placing some shredded duck onto a lettuce â€œwrapâ€ garnishing with a slice of cucumber, spring onion curl, finally get them to spoon the Hoi sin sauce onto each â€œwrapâ€ (seasoning to their taste!).